Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Wildlife Update

Daniel and I are leaving for Ottawa tomorrow morning so, to get "you know who" off my back for a few days, I thought that I should update this little blog. BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO!!!!!!

Just to keep you up on the wildlife at out place, we now have many ducks on the pond and the bird book is on the kitchen table. I don't know what any of them are except the Mallard pair. We also have a goose mated pair hanging out in the afternoon. they swim and sun themselves on the shore and then go to the field behind us to eat. I don't think they sleep on the pond. Curtis thinks they will nest here. That would be cool, but the vats would have to be locked up.

Speaking of cats, the following is a picture of the 2nd weasel that Mr. Tracker has caught. We know it was him because the weasels put up a fight and he got his nose bit. I am hoping that he leaves the rest alone because they eat mice too. The number of dead mice in the garage these days numbers about 4 a day. They always bring them home to show Curtis what a great job they are doing.




We have been out to the pasture every night so that Chester can do his "Zoomies". He is very happy, as are all the other dogs that the snow is gone and they can go back out to their private dog park. The other night Daniel took these pictures of the different kinds of poop in the pasture. We are sure that the smaller ones are deer scat and we think the bigger are Moose scat. Sorry for the blur, Daniel doesn't focus before he shoots.




That night I could see this bird sitting on the fence post just on the south edge of our fence line right by the road. I thought it was a hawk, but now that I have looked at the pictures, I see that it is an owl. Very cool. Curtis saw one last week that he thinks was a Great Gray. No photographic evidence, though.



Now you are up to date on critters.

3 comments:

chiropollock said...

This is a great post. It must be really neat to experience your first full spring in your new place. We should get together, your critters and my flowers, what a blog that would be!! GOOD LUCK IN OTTOWA!

Jenn said...

first of all, can we please have some kind of early warning system if there is going to be dead rodents? What is with you Pollock women and your talk of rodents?

AND then, what's up with Ottowa? Have I not been paying attention? I'm guessing it's some kind of competition with Daniel? So out of the loop...

Jenn said...

OMG. It's OTTAWA!!! Just had to fix that after the "It's Russel, Jenn" comment earlier in the year.