Tuesday, June 7, 2011

OHS Honors Band Wrap up

I can't put into words how happy and proud I am of Daniel. He has almost completed his first year at the high school. He is excelling in all his classes and is an important member of the Onoway High school Honors Band. Last Sunday the band gave their final performance for the year. They will be back next year, but it won't be the same band as the grade 12 members are graduating and moving on with their lives (insert sadness here). Can't wait to see what happens next year, but for now, I thought I should reflect on the year that was.




Daniel's best friend, Hyrum, plays the tuba

During the 2009/2010 school year the Onoway High school Honors Band received a gold rating at the Red Deer Music Festival. This got them the coveted invitation to compete at the Musicfest National festival in Richmond, BC. At Musicfest the 2010/2011 band received a gold rating, one of only two bands at the festival. INCREDIBLE!!!! The following video is their sight treading performance at Richmond, BC. They had 5 minutes to learn and then play this piece that no one in the band had ever seen before.











The Honors Band also competed at the Edmonton Music Festival this year at which they received a superior plus rating and the Adjudicators Choice Award.




The Sunday concert was MC'd by the Chance Quartet.




Daniel received an award for only missing 1 of 160 Honors Band
practices during the 2010/2011 school year.
(Missed for goose hunting with Papa, not because Mom slept in)

Daniel receiving his attendance award from Maestro Tom Saumer
Hyrum received one of 17 perfect attendance awards
















2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very awesome! thank you for Hyrum's mention! I think I may share this on Facebook so my Family in NB can see

chiropollock said...

This band is truly amazing, especially when you consider it is high school kids. You can tell that Daniel really takes it seriously because he is a totally different boy, excuse me, young man when he is with the band. I'm so glad I got to see you play in Vancouver D, Super proud of you and I love you.