Friday, September 9, 2011

September 11

So, on Sunday it is the 10th Anniversary of September 11th. I feel like I should write something, but honestly I am not sure what to write.

Daniel was almost 4 years old and in pre-school at Kids in Harmony. We were up and getting ready to take Daniel to school when the first plane hit the first tower and Matt Lauer and Katie Couric were trying to make sense of it, just as the rest of us were. By the time Claire and I got home from dropping D off at school the second plane had hit the second tower and there were reports of another plane having hit the Pentagon and another having crashed in a field in Pennsylvania. I remember immediately hoping that it wasn't anywhere near Jeff Staples house. I remember going through the possible emergency plans that Steph would need to get back to Canada if something happened in Seattle and wondering if she would come and leave those she loved.

I remember spending the rest of the day glued to the television watching every bit of the unfolding events and being in complete shock that something so horrible was happening. I remember in the days following the pictures that went up on the wall of all the missing people. I remember just sitting on the couch and crying. I didn't know what else to do. I didn't want to step away from it and it totally consumed me for many days.

For just over two years I have been in the most wonderful relationship with Carlam. He is a volunteer firefighter. I remember the sacrifice the firefighters made on September 11, 2001 and the days that followed as they tried to do everything they could to help save, and later recover the bodies of those involved, including many of their own that were lost that day.

I have now seen first hand that it is something that these men and women feel compelled to do. To put themselves second to those that need their help. I am truly blessed to have someone so completely selfless in my life.



So, I hope that on Sunday you take a moment to think about where you were and how your life has changed since that day. And to say I love you to all the important people in your life.

I love all of you.

No comments: