Monday, April 18, 2011

An Amazing Night out in Onoway

Saturday night was amazing. I keep saying that to everyone I talked to on Sunday and today. On Saturday the Onoway High School Honor's Band held their coffeehouse showcase. This is a fundraising evening for the band in order to continue to go on band trips such as the trip to Richmond, BC that they are taking in May to compete in MusicFest Canada. There is a HUGE silent auction (over 100 items) that everyone frantically bids on and mingles amongst. A BIG thank you to Nana, Papa and Carlam for their donation to the auction. The Honor's band preforms and all the small ensembles (made up of Honor's Band members) preform as well. There is coffee, tea and juice served along with many yummy dainties and cream puffs. Yes, I said it. all the cream puffs you can eat and not just the plain ones, chocolate covered as well!!!!!



The evening is topped off with a performance by the Joe Saumer Big Band. This band is directed by Tom Saumer, the director of the high school band and basically all round music legend in this area (including Edmonton). This man is the reason why my son is so happy and settled at high school. You could not ask for a better role model for your child and I hope that you are all blessed with a person like him in your child's life. Without this band and Daniel's keen interest, he would just be wandering around, a ghost, at that school. I digress, back to the band!!! The big band was AWESOME!!!! They play swing music from the 40's and for some of it they have a vocalist. LOTS of people were up dancing including me and my friend,Dena. It is worth the price of admission to watch my dear friend dance. She dances like no one is watching and THAT is amazing in itself. Claire and her friends, Emma and Sheraya, had Daniel up dancing and this resulted in Daniel being asked to dance by one of the girls in the band. I was very proud of him for being gracious and not saying no. He does, however, have to have some dance lessons. The last song the Big Band always plays is In the Mood. It is a tribute to the founding member of the band, Joe Saumer, who is our Mr. Saumer's father.


The Things I learned from Saturday night:


1. How truly blessed we are to live in this amazing small town;


2. Mr. and Mrs. Noble can dance like nobody's business and it is a joy to watch them every time I get the chance;


3. That high school boys today look just as awkward and self conscious dancing as they did back in my day and I hope that never changes; and


4. That my kids, my friends and my life right now is amazing and even though it seems to all be slipping away oh so quickly, it is wonderful to take it all in when I get the chance.

1 comment:

chiropollock said...

AAAWWWW you're so sappy today. I'm glad that you are happy and that you are able to know that you are happy. That's really important in life.