Saturday, November 22, 2008

October Wrap Up

OK, I know that it is the 21st of November so, I think that it is time that I put October to bed for 2008.

Sometime in October, Daniel went to the Profiles Art Studio and did an art project called Lino Cutting.  I had no idea what this was and it is always fun to see Daniel interact with his classmates so, I volunteered as a parent helper.

The kids were all given instructions as a group and then they took the picture
they had drawn in class and they rubbed in onto their piece of lino.
THEN they were all given these KNIVES!!!
I am actually surprised that there was no blood.  You can see that D 
is very excited about the knife!


Daniel cutting his design into his lino.


Once the design was cut into the lino they took it to the inking station and rolled ink
onto their design.


Then they rubbed the inked lino onto a piece of paper.


And voila!  You have a print made from your 
original artwork!  The kids got to make several
prints that had to stay and dry at Profiles, but they got
to take home their original lino art the same day!


Halowe'en

As you already know, Daniel decided against Trick or Treating in order to take him BJJ stripe test.  While he and I were in Edmonton, Claire and Curtis were trick or treating in town.  The school the kids go to does not allow costumes on Halowe'en.  They just watch a movie in the afternoon and call it a day.  I told the kids that this year, I wasn't buying any costumes just for them to wear for 1 hour trick or treating.  I found a great website with homeade costume ideas  and told them to pick one or come up with something on their own.  Daniel had decided that he was going to use his new blanket and go as a warrior with one of his swords he won for karate and Claire wanted to be a ghost.  Off to Walmart she and I went to look for a white sheet.  GOOD LUCK finding a white sheet for less than a ready made hallowe'en costume!!!!  So, we found this awesome fabric shower curtain.  Worked like a charm and she was a happy camper.


No comments: